Thursday, November 22, 2012

Starbucks, Amazon and Google - avoid corporation tax.


Every now and then I have a rant about large multinational companies avoiding tax, it's perfectly legal but socially immoral. Starbucks, Amazon and Google are now in the frame and join the ranks of Vodafone, (see blog June 2012). 

I read with interest calls for boycotts of the 3 companies and have some sympathy with this approach. I have already stopped using Starbucks. Somehow I don`t think it will have much impact on coffee drinkers, internet searchers and book buyers.

The real question must be what are the Government doing to make sure companies pay more corporation tax on profits earned in the UK? Why can`t they stop multinationals just shifting profits around the world to avoid tax?  John Lewis recently called for action to put everyone on a level playing field. At the very least the Government should publish who pays and who avoids, or who are the most creative. I think we have the right to know.

I was going to Café Nero but just heard on the radio that they are tainted to, so I am off to Costa for a coffee..

Cllr George Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment